Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Remember:


Being a flexible parent that accepts all genders doesn't just mean buying your girl monster trucks and tshirts, letting her wear blue and not pink, and getting her play in the dirt.

It also includes accepting and letting you son wear pink, dresses, and play with dolls.

There is a very large double standard on this.  I've grown up a tomboy.  I was always a tomboy, from infancy.  It's just me.  But, aside from a lot of teasing, I was never really told no by anyone.  My parents don't mind.  But my boyfriend wants to get his ears pierced or paint his nails, and it's a big deal.  Boys aren't even allowed to pierce their ears in ROTC, but girls can.  It doesn't have to be gender dysphoria feelings.  Boys get their ears pierced and wear pink.  It shouldn't be a big deal anymore.  Yet it is.  We, as a society, are very afraid of boys being feminine.

Keep an open mind.  You will make this world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment